Friday, 22 January 2010

Hong Kong - impressions!

This week, I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Hong Kong for a work training trip! While a lot of my time was spent in conference rooms listening to presentations, I managed to get out and about a little to explore a little of Hong Kong.

Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't get to see the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island, visit Hong Kong Disneyland or ride to the top of The Peak, but I did get to eat lots of yummy things and notice some of the differences between Hong Kong and Singapore... I'll post on the amazing food separately, but here's my "NotePad" of my first impressions of Hong Kong:
  • it's much smoggier than Singapore, but not humid (though it was winter!)
  • ESCALATORS! people stand to the right hand side of the escalators and rush by on the left AND they have REALLY LOOONG escalators from the city up to the Midlevels to save people from walking to far uphill
  • the MTR drivers are much more erratic than the MRT drivers in Singapore - I almost fell over a few times - AND the MTR is MUCH more crowded than the MRT during peak hour... it was pretty squishy.
  • there are lots of signs - neon and otherwise
  • there are a LOT more Chinese speaking in everyday life - most expats know basic phrases and actually use them
  • there are more funny translations... this one from the toilet at my office...

  • things seem really expensive unless you know your 5 times table (SG$1 = HK$5.50)
  • people don't mind yelling at you
  • it has lots more highrise buildings and the city skyline is illuminated beautifully at night
  • you can protest whenever and wherever you like (one woman had clearly had enough of Citibank and had posters all over their block with phrases such as "Citibank = Devil", "Citibank are Crooks")
  • it's dirtier
  • the street markets seem more fascinating (but I'm sure they are probably exactly the same!)

  • the buildings are much older and more 'old school' ways of doing things are acceptable
So there you have it... first impressions of Hong Kong. Food post to come!

2 comments:

  1. coool!!! we have never been to HK. just the airport :( hope to go there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I had very similar impressions of it compared to Singapore when we went. We loved it and thought it was an exhilarating city.

    ReplyDelete