Saturday, 7 March 2009

Adventures in India...

No, we haven't ventured to India itself yet, but took ourselves out to Little India tonight! It was our first visit... the first of many more I am sure. Singapore is really diverse and we are endlessly surprised at what it has to offer a couple of adventurous souls!
Our first stop was the Tekka Market... we couldn't stomach the smells of the fish to capture a photo but it's amazing and sells all sorts of fish, red meat, herbs and spices... and I'm sure we'll head back there soon!
At the other end of the Tekka Centre are the clothing stalls - there were so many bright and beautiful kaftan and sari stalls!

We then explored some of the local area... the streets were busy with cars and people absolutely everywhere - it was hectic.


We were surprised to come across a 'dedication' in front of a convenience store.

And drinking coconut is so popular here, we almost feel like we were back in Fiji!


We found a great little Indian restaurant and bought a chicken and lamb set meal, garlic naan and a lime juice (one of our new-found favourite drinks)... not bad for under $20! We also tried a fantastic Indian dessert... it was warm custard with sultanas and cashews in it, and little jelly pearls... we have no idea what it was, but it was sooo yummy!

After dinner, we came across some men making a living mending clothes by the side of the road...

A little further down the road, we came across a Hindu temple. Our timing was perfect as they were right in the middle of making music and burning candles and incense. We took off our shoes and went in to see a little of what was happening - it was chaotic and noisy... pretty hard to describe without you experiencing it for yourself... so c'mon over!

This is one of my photographic masterpieces... you can half see Lehi on the right... yes, that's him, obscured by another person... oops! I actually thought this photo was great... I have proven Lehi right that I am a terrible photographer!

Just across the road, there was a stall selling garlands... I assume they are for making temple offerings.

Another great night out in Singapore!

Are you tempted to come and visit yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment