Friday, 21 August 2009

How Singaporean am I?

When we first moved to Singapore, I felt like I became a local almost straight away - I mean, I got a $12 manicure with flower nail art and discovered the joys of shopping on my lunch break, on the way to and from work and at any other possible opportunity... I learned that in all circumstances two things were essential - a wrap for extreme airconditioning and a brolly for unexpected-daily downpours. There are some things I haven't yet, and may never, embrace. I will not walk excrutiatingly slowly. I will not use my brolly to shield myself from the glorious sunshine. And I will not wear high heels for all occasions (even if I get strange looks wearing my beloved Havianas in 'inappropriate' places).

However, yesterday, I took my "Singaporeaness" to a whole new level and even surprised myself!
When you think of a dessert, what springs to mind? A cheesecake, nutella crepe, something that oozes warm chocolate... mmmm... how about this!?

This was my thought pattern, and may well be yours - "What is that? Is it an appetiser or dessert? Corn in Jelly? In a pool of sweetened milk? Gotta be dessert!"

Yes, yes it was. And instead of just looking at it, baffled, and craving a piece of chocolate (as I typically do with other deserts here the contain 'savoury' items such as Red Beans and Corn), I actually ate it. And it was delicious!

Perhaps these last 8 months of eating Hawker fare have primed my tastebuds... maybe I was just really hungry... maybe I'm morphing into some sort of "Utah Mormon" (Bishop once said all sorts of weird and wonderful things find their way into Jello in Utah)... but whatever happened has thrown my dessert world into a spin... and I'm left wondering if maybe I should think again about Ice Kachang and Durian!

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I agree! Gross :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still laughing! I love the way that was written, very clever and entertaining! :) You are too cute, Utah mormon! :) I'm gonna tell Jer and he will die laughing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Clark and I think I just threw up in my mouth (and it probably tastes better than that Durian!) Crazy ang moh! Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I too have been surprised by how slooooow people walk and I love the umbrellas that shield them from the sun. You are brave and I'm glad you liked/tried the dessert. ...maybe I'll be as brave some day.

    ReplyDelete